- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 9
inch cake pans.
- Use the first set of ingredients to make the cake. In a medium bowl, stir
together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla, mix for 3 minutes with an electric
mixer. Stir in the boiling water by hand. Pour evenly into the two prepared
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted
comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to cool
- To make the frosting, use the second set of ingredients. Cream butter
until light and fluffy. Stir in the cocoa and confectioners' sugar
alternately with the milk and vanilla. Beat to a spreading consistency.
- Split the layers of cooled cake horizontally, cover the top of each layer
with frosting, then stack them onto a serving plate. Frost the outside
of the cake.